Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fight Night at the store.......

This past weekend was quite an interesting day at the store. Having less of a social life then the other crew members (one took his girlfirend to a play, the other went to a concert), I wound up working an eleven hour shift - open to close. Which in reality I don't mind - I enjoy this job, and that helps me to deal with long days such as this. That, and having things like.....I dunno....fist fights break out in the shop. Did I mention that?


Here's how it went down. A group of four kids come in, and the "leader" (packs of kids always have a leader. Wonder if he's elected, appointed, or just steps up?) wants to sell music CDs. We used to deal in music but stopped about four years ago, so I suggested he try a music store about three miles down the road. He thanked me and the crew started to leave, with two kids hanging by a display by the door, looking at games. These two browsers were talking to each other a little, but I couldn't hear what they were saying.

Next thing I know, one guy is staring the other one down pretty hard. Smack talk starts to fly, and I pay close attention. I still have no idea what this started over, but it wasn't game related (some might argue they played too much GTA..........). While still right up in the other kid's grill, the smack talker decided to throw a punch, and landed two good shots on his "opponent".

By this time, I 've got the phone in hand and dialed the "9", waiting a bit before finishing the last digits "1-1". The leader was cool, and told his crew "not here guys, not here!". Since they were so close to the door, the scuffle spilled out onto the sidewalk, and the two non-participants were trying to restrain the fighters. It was over pretty quick, and the leader came back to grab his CD's that fell, and apologized for what happened. I watched as they left, and here's the kicker - they all get in the same car and drive away together!

My first thought is that they stole something, and that whole fight was a distraction ploy - but nothing was missing! That whole scene made absolutely no sense - but know what? A lot of things in life don't............

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I gotta add this to my blog's list. It'll compliment it well.

even hear of gord?

Slovenian6474 said...

Hey, seems your MTV story was slashdotted (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/09/2225252). Hence, how i got here. I figured i'd read your blog because i like video games and i like stores, so blogs about video game stores or storing video games interest me. Also the fact that i'm pretty bored at work and your site isn't blocked helps out.

Dr. Boomanchu said...

I just randomly stumbled on your blog and got a good chuckle out of it. I worked at a Funcoland for many years (Before they stopped selling classic games and was ruled by the iron fist that is GameStop) and your blog got me thinking back to all of my similar situations and customers. Nobody seems to appreciate video game retail stories unless they've lived through it too. Good luck this November!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to all, glad you are enjoying it!

Wow, we made Slashdot, that's awesome! Exposure is good ;)

Yes, I've seen Gord, but only shortly after we started this project. His writing style is completely different, though the stories are coming from the same basic element.